COURSE OUTLINE 2019
The eight session program covers the following topics and opportunity to advance after each session. Each session provides a Certified U.S Sailing Instructor from the yacht club. Courses include boat rigging, emergencies, working wind, docking, regatta and daily racing. Skills development include beginner, intermediate and advanced. Students are involved in interactive classroom instruction with whiteboard, knot tying sessions and supervised sailing on the lake. All students receive certificates of completion.
U.S. Sailing Instruction
Jake Stephens, Head and Certified Instructor
Associate Instructors Available
8 Academy Summer Sessions
Each session is 5 days Mon – Fri
The students are divided into groups according to age and skill level.
- Session 1 Jun 17 – Jun 21
- Session 2 Jun 24 – Jun 28 *
- Session 3 Jul 8 – Jul 12
- Session 4 Jul 15 – Jul 29
- Session 5 Jul 22 – Jul 26
- Session 6 Jul 29 – Aug 2
- Session 7 Aug 5 – Aug 9
- Session 8 Aug 12 – Aug 16
*Includes entry into July 4 “Around the Island Race” All Instruction will begin at 11 am and complete at 4 pm.
- All Students/Sailors must have basic swimming skills, supply and wear a life jacket and must bring their lunch.
- Each sailor will be assigned a personal sailboat for which they are responsible.
- Graduation ceremonies will commence on Fridays each Academy week.
- A BBQ will follow each graduation. Parents, sailors and visitors are invited to this wonderful event.
Classes are held at Westlake Yacht Club, 32123 Lindero Canyon Rd., Westlake Village.