COURSE OUTLINE 2020
The nine session program covers the following topics and an opportunity to advance after each session. Each session is lead by a Certified U.S Sailing Instructor from the yacht club. Courses include boat rigging, emergencies, working wind, docking, regatta and daily racing. Skills development include beginner, intermediate and advanced. Students are involved in interactive classroom instruction with whiteboard, knot tying sessions and supervised sailing on the lake. All students receive certificates of completion. Watch a Classroom Video HERE.
Conducted and Led by a U.S. Sailing Certified Instructor
Associate Instructors Available
9 Academy Summer Sessions
Each session is 5 days Mon – Fri
The students are divided into groups according to age and skill level.
- Session 1 Jun 15 – Jun 19 - Sold Out
- Session 2 Jun 22 – Jun 26 - Sold Out
- Session 3 Jun 29 – Jul 3 * - Sold Out
- Session 4 Jul 6 – Jul 10 - Sold Out
- Session 5 Jul 13 – Jul 17 - Sold Out
- Session 6 Jul 20 – Jul 24 - Sold Out
- Session 7 Jul 27 – Jul 31 - Sold Out
- Session 8 Aug 3 – Aug 7 - Sold Out
- Session 9 Aug 10 - Aug 14 - Sold Out
*Includes entry into July 4 “Around the Island Race” All Instruction will begin at 12 pm and complete at 5 pm.
- All Students/Sailors must have basic swimming skills, supply and wear a life jacket and bring their lunch.
- Each sailor will be assigned a personal sailboat for which they are responsible.
- Graduation ceremonies will commence on Fridays each Academy week.
- A BBQ will follow each graduation. Parents, sailors and visitors are invited to this wonderful event.
Classes are held at Westlake Yacht Club, 32129 Lindero Canyon Rd., Westlake Village.
WYC Junior Membership: All sessions include an annual Junior Membership in the Westlake Yacht Club. To join as a Junior Member, please complete the following membership application by downloading it to your desktop/laptop, complete the form and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Junior Membership Application Packet